Beyond the Hill

Alec Baldwin to host Syracuse International Film Festival

Morgan Sample | Daily Orange File Photo

On Monday, the Syracuse International Film Festival announced its 2023 host, Alec Baldwin. Each year, the festival celebrates film with the CNY community and educates attendees on various components of the craft, their website says.

To support student journalism and the content you love, become a member of The Daily Orange today.

Actor Alec Baldwin will host the 20th annual Syracuse International Film Festival, the organization announced Monday afternoon. Along with hosting, Baldwin will receive the festival’s Sophia Award and conduct a Q&A session with attendees.

The festival will be held on Sept. 30 from 4 to 10 p.m. at the Mohegan Manor in Baldwinsville and will feature a screening of the 1979 film, “Being There,” directed by Hal Ashby.

Baldwin made national news in October 2021 when he accidentally discharged a prop firearm on the set of “Rust.” The gunshots killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounded the film’s director, Joel Souza. In April, the prosecutors who were bringing charges against Baldwin dropped their involuntary manslaughter charges.

Baldwin also has a personal connection to Syracuse. His mother, Carol Baldwin, is from Syracuse and founded the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund of CNY. The fund annually grants awards for research at SUNY Upstate Medical University and Upstate University Hospital.

General admission tickets cost $30 and VIP tickets cost $75. Tickets can be purchased online.